Sony has released an update for the PlayStation 5 that makes a number of changes to the console.
The highlights are improvements to music in the control centre, which according to the update notes are now much easier to use. Elsewhere, there are improvements to PlayStation VR2 settings and voice commands.
The update, which weights in at 1.185GB, is light on changes, but it’s nice to see detailed update notes from Sony, as opposed to age-old and vague ‘stability’ reference.
Here are the PS5 System Software Update 23.02-08.20.00.06 features in full:
- (Music) in the control centre is now much easier to use. With its two-column layout, you can easily browse various categories, playlists, and songs.
- You can avoid unintentionally broadcasting your surroundings while broadcasting games with your PlayStation VR2.
- – Go to [Settings] > [Accessories] > [PlayStation VR2], and turn on [Block See-Through View on TV] to prevent the camera see-through image from being displayed on your TV while using your PS VR2.
- If you say “What’s new?” via Voice Command on any screen, you can now check for new PS5 features.
- – Currently, Voice Command (Preview) is only available in English for players with accounts for PlayStation Network in the U.S. and UK.
- We’ve improved the messages and usability on some screens.
PlayStation 5 2023 Redesign – First Images
Sony is set to launch smaller PS5 models in November. This week, it emerged the PS5 Slim’s optional disc drive needs to connect to the internet to pair it to a console, sparking concern about video game preservation.
The smaller PS5 design comes with 1TB storage for the PS5 and PS5 Digital Edition, up from 825GB in the original versions of the console, and the new model provides the option to add an Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Drive to the PS5 Digital Edition.
If you buy the PS5 Digital Edition, you can add the Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Drive for PS5 later, as it will also be sold separately for $79.99 | €119.99 | £99.99 | 11,980 JPY. Once inventory of the current PS5 model has sold out, the new PS5 will become the only model available.
Wesley is the UK News Editor for IGN. Find him on Twitter at @wyp100. You can reach Wesley at email@example.com or confidentially at firstname.lastname@example.org.