Automaker Stellantis is opting out of Super Bowl ads this year, the company confirmed Friday.
“With a continued focus on preserving business fundamentals to mitigate the impact of a challenging U.S. automotive market, we are evaluating our business needs and will take the appropriate decisions to protect our North America operations and the Company,” a spokesperson for Stellantis told The Hill in a statement.
“In light of this assessment, we will not be participating in the Big Game this year,” they added.
The Jeep manufacturer is the second company to make this decision. General Motors (GM) said in November that it would nix advertising during the big game, according to Reuters.
The outlet also reported that Stellantis — the parent company of Jeep, Chrysler and Ram — is known to use the Super Bowl for major advertising, as in 2023 a 30-second ad in the during the game went for nearly $7 million.
Their decision comes after both GM and Stellantis were targets of the recent United Auto Workers (UAW) strike, which lasted six weeks. Both companies ratified their auto worker contracts in mid-November, approving a 25 percent wage increase and cost of living adjustments.
GM estimated last year that the UAW strike cost it $1.1 billion, due primarily to lost production.
Copyright 2023 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.